[Tfug] Looking to buy a large CRT (not LCD) monitor

Jeffry Johnston tfug at kidsquid.com
Thu Dec 13 17:23:19 MST 2007

Hi,

My ancient 1995 HP (Sony tube) 21" CRT is dying.  It clicks a bunch of times
before the tube comes on.. I hear this is supposed to be a dying flyback
transformer.  I'd probably try to repair it, but I don't want to accidently
shock and kill myself :P

I thought I'd found one on craigslist.org.. they were selling a 24"
widescreen Sony CRT, but the black level was really messed up, resulting in
a lack of contrast even at the best settings.  I guess people that don't use
the command line much like we do don't notice when their monitor is broken!
Was sad because as I understand it, this was the largest CRT Sony ever made.

Anyone have a good quality 21" or larger Sony tubed monitor (doesn't have to
be Sony brand, just the tube is fine) for sale?

Alternately, I would consider an LCD if it was 21" or larger with a native
resolution of 1024x768 (or 2048x1536).  As I understand it, LCD's only look
good at their native resolution, and I find 1600x1200, etc, to be
unacceptable.  It makes displayed fonts too small to my eyes, and some that
I use heavily aren't scalable.  Plus, what would the contrast ratio of an
LCD have to be to match a CRT?

Thanks,
Jeff