[Tfug] Open Source solutions

Eric G eric at nixwizard.net
Wed Aug 22 08:47:55 MST 2007

I know this might not be the place for it (hey it's free unix
evangelism, right?) but what the hell.

Does anyone who is subscribed to this list feel that the time is right
(or is about to be right) to try and get an open source-based network
consulting company off the ground?

I think that especially with Vista and Office 2007 people are tired of
being forced to upgrade (and pay for!) software that they don't really
need. The big argument would be "if XP works, why replace it?" Of
course Microsoft's answer to that is "we're pulling the plug on
support for XP so you have to upgrade to Vista"

Novell's bet the farm on Linux. I'm inclined to agree with them. ODF
is awesome (comlete, non-patent encumbered document format) compared
to Microsoft's OOXML (which IS encumbered with Intellectual Property
and patents). OpenOffice isn't perfect yet, but there are transition
options for people (like, say, in Microsoft Office save your documents
as ODF documents, etc). Novell also actually has a Small Business
Server equivalent, and all the pieces are in place (for some reason
freaking RedHat doesn't...) See

Anyway does anyone else out int Tucons have any thoughts? I'm young
and naive and I want to be my own boss. I've also been playing with
Linux for round abouts 8 years now. See my resume on
http://nixwizard.net for more info if anyone's interested

Eric