[Tfug] GUI vs command line

Andrew Ayre andy at britishideas.com
Sun Aug 19 20:56:46 MST 2007

Matthew Shucker wrote:
> On 8/19/07, Earl <earljviolet at juno.com> wrote:
>> I was backing up my home directory and decided I was in a rush.  Rather than use the command line as usual, I used PCManFM, a very lightweight file manager.
>
> Slightly off the topic of GUI-inflicted ~/ deletions, but on the topic
> of backups:  if you haven't tried unison, give it a whirl.  It's
> basically a two-way front-end for rsync and it's great for keeping
> your home dirs on multiple machines matching. I used it to keep my
> home and work machines in sync and backed up for years.  You can run
> it on the command line or with a GUI, but IMHO as far as unison goes,
> the GUI is worth it - you get an easy view of which files are going
> which direction and a chance to change them manually.  Simple and
> effective.  And there's no delete button.  ;-)

My colleagues and I used Unison to sync files on our PCs with a server.
We did this for several years and continually ran into conflicts for no
apparent reason, some of which required manual effort to resolve, which
happened regularly, wasting a lot of time. Perhaps the software is
better these days but we switched to subversion repos instead for shared
files. No problems since.

For backups (i.e. not shared files) we use scripts like flexbackup in a
cron job to back up to servers and external USB drives automatically.

Andy

--
Andy
PGP Key ID: 0x67090A54