[Tfug] GUI vs command line

Matthew Shucker mshucker at arizona.edu
Sun Aug 19 20:20:49 MST 2007

On 8/19/07, Earl <earljviolet at juno.com> wrote:
> I was backing up my home directory and decided I was in a rush.  Rather than use the command line as usual, I used PCManFM, a very lightweight file manager.

Slightly off the topic of GUI-inflicted ~/ deletions, but on the topic
of backups:  if you haven't tried unison, give it a whirl.  It's
basically a two-way front-end for rsync and it's great for keeping
your home dirs on multiple machines matching. I used it to keep my
home and work machines in sync and backed up for years.  You can run
it on the command line or with a GUI, but IMHO as far as unison goes,
the GUI is worth it - you get an easy view of which files are going
which direction and a chance to change them manually.  Simple and
effective.  And there's no delete button.  ;-)

http://www.cis.upenn.edu/~bcpierce/unison/

Matt