[Tfug] Fw: Beryl

Predrag Punosevac punosevac72 at hotmail.com
Mon Aug 6 20:57:16 MST 2007

----- Original Message -----
From: Predrag Punosevac
To: Sean Warburton
Sent: Monday, August 06, 2007 20:43
Subject: Re: Beryl

Disconnect all but one monitor since XOrg will probe monitor and video card (Dual monitors is more advanced stuff) and try to configure them automatically. If not you will have to run Xorg -config and then to edit the file xorg.conf.new and put it into /boot (check the book chapter 5) directory so that boat loader can see it. Have the PS/2 mouse and a simple keyboard attached. Avoid USB or wireless stuff until you know what are you doing.
I run FreeBSD, XOrg 7.2  and on the top of it Gnome 2.18. Everything is configured from the command line (Everything absolutely everything works except VoIP for now) . I don't have fancy video card nor I use Beryl WM for that matter. I am planning to go down to fluxbox or FVWM despite the fact that I have the computer with the same specification as yours except for the video card.

I did at least 20 installation of PC-BSD and is as simple as putting the disk and answering 6 questions. I never dealt with fancy Nvidia
cards. I think during the installation you will be directed to chose proprietary drivers. If not you will have to read little bit how to load them into kernel. You can do that after the boot with kldload (man for help). This will be lost after you shutdown the computer so in order to make change permanently you will have to edit /boot/load.conf.
I have however experience with old laptops and for them Xorg -config trick doesn' t work simply you have to edit xorg.conf file by hand
You apparently need hardware specifications to do that.

I think you should go through without any configuration just inserting CD and answering 6 questions and have Beryl working.
If you get into troubles let me know. People at PC-BSD forum are very nice and have much more experience with the KIDS staff :-)(Beryl) then I do.