[Tfug] Beryl

Rich r-lists at studiosprocket.com
Mon Aug 6 19:26:25 MST 2007

On Aug 6, 2007, at 6:49 pm, Predrag Punosevac wrote:

> If  you were running on the top of Windows that is enough of the
> reason to
> be unresponsive.
> I would guess 1Gb of memory and a serious graphics card are
> minimum. Check
> the FreeBSD for
> the list of supported graphics cards.
It took me a while to work out what was running on what :-)

VMware does 3D, it's just not on by default: http://www.vmware.com/
support/ws5/doc/ws_vidsound_d3d_enabling_vm.html

Not sure how it achieves this; and I'm not that interested.

The obvious option (lightweight, fast) is to request a drawable area
through the host OS and pumping OpenGL commands through that directly
into the native graphics card.

The idiot/savant option (i.e. most compatible, most laborious,
slowest), and the only one I've seen so far, is to implement a simple
graphics driver that can handle some 3D stuff, rendering it in
software, then dump that bitmap at every (periodic) vertical refresh
into the host OS's visual space. In this case, your native graphics
card isn't going to matter much but your CPU speed and memory
architecture is.

The halfway house option (labourious, mediocre speed, not so
compatible) is for VMware to arbitrate 3D through the host OS's
graphics driver, but still rendering the result in software.

Where a host OS is expected to handle graphics stuff for VMware's
clients, that host would need a pretty hefty graphics card.

R.