[Tfug] Wireless in windows

Ben Slote bslote at gmail.com
Sat Aug 4 15:42:42 MST 2007

Anyone know how to improve wireless speeds in Windows?

Copy/paste from a forum post I made elsewhere:

We just got set up with Cox (12mbit/1mbit) and we're having a strange issue.
We have our modem (a Motorola SB1501) going to our Linksys WRT54G router,
and we're all connecting to the network via wireless cards. My two roommates
are getting really lousy speeds, in the 2-3mbit range, while I'm getting
much better speeds in the 12-14mbit range. I'm running Linux, and my two
roommates are running Windows XP.

I've also booted into Windows on my laptop and got the same lousy speeds as
my roommates (3-4mbit). I then booted right back into Linux and tested with
the same test server and consistently get over 13mbit. So I really want to
this is a Windows problem, and not anything related to hardware.