[Tfug] HP Office Jet using HPLIP

christopher floess skeptikos at gmail.com
Wed Aug 1 21:36:16 MST 2007

On 8/1/07, christopher floess <skeptikos at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi, Predrag.
>
> > P.S.
> > I tried to use CUPS in order to use Gutenprint drivers but it seems to me
> > that cups expects printer to be detected as USB or network printer. ( I am
> > messing up something big time with the parallel ports). All I have done was
> > from the root account (I will set permissions latter). My computer is set up
> > to run as a free standing Desktop so the host name is something generic.

Oh, I remember now. Here is one of my settings in /etc/devfs.conf:

#Make CUPS 1.2.2 happy
perm lpt0 0666

After I made this change, in the web configuration interface for CUPS
I was able to see the lpt0 device. Before then, it was just USB, and
network devices.

Hope this helps ~ Chris

--
Q: What did the zen buddhist say to the hotdog vendor?

A: Make me one with everything ~ Dr. Jonathan Katz