[Tfug] HP Office Jet using HPLIP

christopher floess skeptikos at gmail.com
Wed Aug 1 21:33:42 MST 2007

Hi, Predrag.

> P.S.
> I tried to use CUPS in order to use Gutenprint drivers but it seems to me
> that cups expects printer to be detected as USB or network printer. ( I am
> messing up something big time with the parallel ports). All I have done was
> from the root account (I will set permissions latter). My computer is set up
> to run as a free standing Desktop so the host name is something generic.

I'm afraid I can't help you with HPLIP b/c I haven't used it. I just noticed
your P.S. and thought I'd share my thoughts on CUPS with you. I'm
running FreeBSD 5.4, and CUPS 1.2.2 with an HP LJet 4L. It's been a
 while, but I remember when I configured cups, I ran into the same
 thing about it expecting USB or network printers. In the end, it had
something to do with changing permissions on certain files (right
now I'm thinking /dev/lptx, but things are fuzzy right now). After I got
the permissions thing sorted out, I had no problems, and I've been
happy with cups ever since.

I just thought I'd mention this to get you pointed in the right direction.
A lot has changed in FreeBSD since 5.4, so if this doesn't help, sorry.

~ Chris

--
Q: What did the zen buddhist say to the hotdog vendor?

A: Make me one with everything ~ Dr. Jonathan Katz