[Tfug] FTGH: APC Back-UPS Pro 650

Sean Warburton hl2addict at gmail.com
Wed Apr 18 17:52:19 MST 2007

The unist says XS 1000, but it seems that it was replaced by the RS series.
http://www.apcc.com/resource/include/techspec_index.cfm?base_sku=BR1000 That
looks EXACTLY like that I have. The batteries are Exide Powersafe sealed
lead acid batteries. There are two of them (in the backup, they were
togeather...in parallel (I think? where the current lasts longer than one
battery, as opposed to in series, which yields more current/voltage,
right?). The battery also says EP 1229W. Here it is:
http://batterysupplyco.com/xs1000.html Except for the white stickers...Think
they will work?

On 4/18/07, George Cohn <gwcohn at simplybits.net> wrote:

> Rich wrote:
> >  Just don't lick the terminals to see if it's live.
>
> Heh, heh.  Many years ago when radios had tubes in them and God wore
> tennis shoes, there were different voltage batteries in common form
> factor sizes.
>
> One of them was a 90 volt "B" battery to provide the plate voltage in
> portable radios.  It was the shape of a 9 volt battery but about three
> times as long.
>
> My cousin had seen me lick batteries to see if they were any good.  He
> picked up a 90 volt battery that I had and licked it.
>
> His eyes lit up and he threw it across the room!  Then he screamed at me
> about how could I stand to lick them?  Fortunately they didn't have much
> amperage capacity.
>
> They also came in 45 volt and 67-1/2 volt sizes as well.
>
> Just FYI, A batteries provided filament voltages, B batteries were for
> plate voltages, and C batteries were for grid voltages.
>
> Geez, am I really that old?  Hint:  I starting playing with electronics
> in the mid 1950's. ;-)
>
> George Cohn

Windows Vista Ultimate beta (build 5600)
Ubuntu 6.10 (dual boot)
ASUS P5N32-SLI Premium
Intel Core 2 Duo 6600
dual eVGA 7900 GT OCs (full x16 SLI)