[Tfug] FTGH: APC Back-UPS Pro 650

George Cohn gwcohn at simplybits.net
Wed Apr 18 16:18:24 MST 2007

Rich wrote:
>  Just don't lick the terminals to see if it's live.

Heh, heh.  Many years ago when radios had tubes in them and God wore
tennis shoes, there were different voltage batteries in common form
factor sizes.

One of them was a 90 volt "B" battery to provide the plate voltage in
portable radios.  It was the shape of a 9 volt battery but about three
times as long.

My cousin had seen me lick batteries to see if they were any good.  He
picked up a 90 volt battery that I had and licked it.

His eyes lit up and he threw it across the room!  Then he screamed at me
about how could I stand to lick them?  Fortunately they didn't have much
amperage capacity.

They also came in 45 volt and 67-1/2 volt sizes as well.

Just FYI, A batteries provided filament voltages, B batteries were for
plate voltages, and C batteries were for grid voltages.

Geez, am I really that old?  Hint:  I starting playing with electronics
in the mid 1950's. ;-)

George Cohn