[Tfug] OpenSourceHowTo.org

Paul Matthews paul.matthews at opensourcehowto.org
Fri Apr 13 16:02:41 MST 2007

Hi Stephen

> Do you have a FAQ somewhere?

No I don't, but thats a good idea, I'll put one on right away, do you have
any suggests for the questions I could do there

> Have you made all the content?
> Who owns the content?

I have written all the content by myself over the years, by website
started being just a documentation website for my traineeship (part of
traineeship required me to document everything I have learned) then it
because just a point of reference for myself when I was setting up my
Linux servers for my job & now I'm trying to turn it into something that
will really help the community at large.

> I think people may be more willing to contribute documentation if you
> make sure they realize it is "open", and if you attribute it to
> someone.

Although I have written all my documentation myself I make reference at
the bottom of the page a few of the links that helped me.

> What does the money you collect from ad revenue (link revenue) go to?
>
> I understand that everything is pretty much fed back into site upkeep,
> which is cool, but you should probably mention that.

pretty much just hosting fee's, I'm not making anywhere near enough retie
just yet, i'm not making anywhere near my hosting fees just yet either.

> Two comments I have to make: the screenshots seem a little unnecessary
> when you are simply taking a picture of the SSH command line (granted,
> that I only looked at the first link
> "http://www.opensourcehowto.org/how-to/openldap/setup-openldap.html");
> and couldn't you just point people to the OpenLDAP page?

I've actually had a lot of people say they like the screenshots. I agree
with you, I think they are quite redundant. But i'm trying to make myself
stand out from the crowd of other HOWTO websites, so i'm trying a couple
of things, screenshots, video how-to's (like on the ldap client howto) &
hopefully more.

> I ask that, because though as recipe it is fine, it still doesn't
> really explain how to set up OpenLDAP on Fedora, just the series of
> steps you took to set it up... looking at your page, I wouldn't
> realize that I needed to change "BASE", etc.

thanks for the tip, like i said before, it started off as much a reference
point to myself, so now that I'm trying to convert it over to a community
help page, I going to need to change a lot.

--
OpenSourceHowTo.org
[url]http://www.opensourcehowto.org/[/url]

Wiki.OpenSourceHowTo.org