[Tfug] OpenSourceHowTo.org

Stephen Hooper stephen.hooper at gmail.com
Fri Apr 13 12:20:18 MST 2007

On 4/13/07, Paul Matthews <paul.matthews at opensourcehowto.org> wrote:
> http://www.opensourcehowto.org
>
> hi everyone, i've setup a website so that users of open source server side
> software can come and look at instructional guides, how-to's, forums,
> wiki's and all sorts of other information about setting up software on
> Linux for both windows and Linux based networks.

Hi Paul...

I like your site, but I have a few questions.

Do you have a FAQ somewhere?

Have you made all the content?
Who owns the content?

I think people may be more willing to contribute documentation if you
make sure they realize it is "open", and if you attribute it to
someone.

What does the money you collect from ad revenue (link revenue) go to?

I understand that everything is pretty much fed back into site upkeep,
which is cool, but you should probably mention that.

Two comments I have to make: the screenshots seem a little unnecessary
when you are simply taking a picture of the SSH command line (granted,
that I only looked at the first link
"http://www.opensourcehowto.org/how-to/openldap/setup-openldap.html");
and couldn't you just point people to the OpenLDAP page?

I ask that, because though as recipe it is fine, it still doesn't
really explain how to set up OpenLDAP on Fedora, just the series of
steps you took to set it up... looking at your page, I wouldn't
realize that I needed to change "BASE", etc.

Anyways, this will be a nice page for the community to have.  Thanks!