[Tfug] CPU Query (results)

Robert Hunter hunter at tfug.org
Fri Apr 6 13:59:08 MST 2007

> Based on recommendations here, I purchased a system with an Athlon 64 X2
> 5200+ CPU.  After the usual fiddling around installing the OS (CENTOS
> 4.4)
> and getting code and data moved, I'm a happy camper.  Results are as
> follows:
>
> Original CPU: Athlon 64 3500+ (2.2GHz)
>
> Run a single case:
>   Original : 80s
>        New : 67s
>
> Run two copies in parallel:
>   Original : 160s
>        New :  68s
>
> So, the overall gain from just this simple approach is an effective 58%
> reduction in run time.  Unless I run into overheating problems, that cuts
> my overall runtime needs from 265h to 111h.
>
> And thanks to all for suggestions.

That is really cool, Jim.  It's a great feeling when you get that kind of
performance increase.

By the way, we picked up a number of the Opteron 270s, in dual socket
configurations -- essentially 4-way systems -- about a year ago, and we
were blown away by the throughput of these boxes.  I'm looking forward to
the quads, which should be out anytime now.

--
Rob