[Tfug] OT: A "musing"

Terence Rudkin trudkin at gmail.com
Mon Apr 2 19:01:18 MST 2007

On 4/2/07, George Cohn <gwcohn at simplybits.net> wrote:

> Bexley Hall wrote:
> > I had to ask (and then answer) myself this question
> > recently and was amused at just how difficult it was
> > to come up with a reliable answer!  :<
> >
> > The question is:
> >
> > What rules do "you" use when "pronouncing" numbers?
> >
> > For example:
> >
> > 123 -- one hundred twenty three
> > 605 -- six hundred five
> > 1610 -- one thousand six hundred ten
>
> For many years I worked in telecom.  I tend to break numbers up into
> groups of 3 and 4.  IE: 829-5555.
>
> That would be pronounced eight two nine, five five five five.
>
> I would say eight twentyNine FiftyFive FiftyFive, only four things to
remember, for me an number under a hundred is a single unit.  I am also
dyslexic  so I tend to repeat numbers back to people in a form different
them they gave it to me.   So if someone gave me a phone number  eight
twentyNine FiftyFive FiftyFive I'd  say back eight two nine, five five five
five .  And if they said eight two nine, five five five five  I'd reply
eight twentyNine FiftyFive FiftyFive .

But my first response is to group numbers into sets under a hundred. and shy
way using magnitude like thousand etc.   If truly numeric I'll repeate in
groups of 3 with the ALL units.  three hundred twenty one  million six
hundred sisty six thousand one hundred fourteen

TR