[Tfug] OT: A "musing"

George Cohn gwcohn at simplybits.net
Mon Apr 2 16:21:16 MST 2007

Bexley Hall wrote:
> I had to ask (and then answer) myself this question
> recently and was amused at just how difficult it was
> to come up with a reliable answer!  :<
>
> The question is:
>
> What rules do "you" use when "pronouncing" numbers?
>
> For example:
>
> 123 -- one hundred twenty three
> 605 -- six hundred five
> 1610 -- one thousand six hundred ten

For many years I worked in telecom.  I tend to break numbers up into
groups of 3 and 4.  IE: 829-5555.

That would be pronounced eight two nine, five five five five.

People tend to not remember more than 3 or 4 numbers in a row so it's
easier to remember that way.

Really annoying when I ask someone for a phone number and they say eight
two nine five five, five five.

Asterisk has a "say digits" and "say number" function that can read the
caller-id.

It's a lot easier to understand when you say the digits rather than the
number, IE: eight two nine, five five five five rather than eight
hundred twenty nine, five thousand five hundred fifty five.

Or maybe it's just me.  ;-)

George Cohn