[Tfug] OT: A "musing"

Jeremy D Rogers jdrogers at optics.arizona.edu
Mon Apr 2 12:45:27 MST 2007

Interesting.. I've actually thought about this before (w00t! I'm a
nerd), though in slightly different terms as I was always confused
about where to write in "AND"s when writing out checks. It reminds me
of the Kevin James stand up routine about phone number rhythm.

For strings of numbers, i.e. credit card, accounts, etc., I think I
generally break numbers into groups of 2:
123 - one twenty three
605 - six oh five (here the 'oh' is necessary to eliminate ambiguity)
1610 - sixteen ten
182937 - eighteen.. twenty nine.. thirty seven (here the slight pauses
set up a rhythm alert the listener of the breaks so there is no
confusion that "thirty seven" is 30-7 = 307)

However, when dealing with numbers that represent quantities (not just
a label), I usually do something more like your second example with
the and's.
5431 - five thousand four hundred and thirty one.
Thinking about it, I think the AND is actually an auditory cue that is
the used almost like punctuation. It lets the listener know that the
end of the number is what follows.
Cheers,
JDR