[Tfug] OT: A "musing"

Bexley Hall bexley401 at yahoo.com
Mon Apr 2 12:18:53 MST 2007

I had to ask (and then answer) myself this question
recently and was amused at just how difficult it was
to come up with a reliable answer!  :<

The question is:

What rules do "you" use when "pronouncing" numbers?

For example:

123 -- one hundred twenty three
605 -- six hundred five
1610 -- one thousand six hundred ten

Etc.  (I am deliberately neglecting variants like
"sixteen hundred thirty seven" and other contextual
factors that may play in how each number is rendered).

But, in practice, I have found that the above "rule"
(which should be evident on inspection) isn't truly
universally applied.  And, when it *is*, it leads to
a reduction in clarity (first pass unaided recognition
rate).

For example:

605 -- six hundred AND five
1610 -- one thousand six hundred AND ten
123 -- one hundred twenty three

implements yet another rule set (a bit less obvious)
with, arguably, some enhanced listener perception.

The more you think about this, the more you will
find yourself unsure of how YOU *actually* speak
them!  :>

--don