[Tfug] Audio/Video woes

Stephen Hooper stephen.hooper at gmail.com
Sun Sep 24 17:58:13 MST 2006

Hi Paul,

I was not trying to imply that you were a newbie, just that advice
like, "Oh, so foo doesn't work for you!  It works fine for me on bar
distribution, so install bar distribution," would seem to me to only
cause confusion in newbies.

I did search for mail, from you before writing my reply.  I found you
first posting on Aug 1.  Fair enough.  I am sorry if you have been
posting for longer, but I don't recall your name, and I changed email
accounts around that time for my TFUG delivery.

That said, I am sure no one shook their head in disgust, but I do
wonder why you didn't try to google the question first.

 If the answer you were given by uri I inserted into the mail that I
first sent (the email that seems to make me do nothing but try to
explain myself) was insufficient, or wrong, then the list would
probably be appropriate place to ask.

On the other hand, if I can google something, and come up with what
looks like the right answer within the first page, then I do feel it
incumbent upon myself to point out that the answer is on Google, and
that by asking on the list you have done nothing but increase the
overall noise level of the internet.  Even if it is well intentioned,
it is still noise.

Hope that seems as sensible to everyone else, as it does to me.