[Tfug] Audio/Video woes

Stephen Hooper stephen.hooper at gmail.com
Sun Sep 24 06:00:06 MST 2006

You are refudiating a point I was not trying to make, and in fact was
offering as an example of the absurd.

Nevertheless, like I said before, Ubuntu may be great, and video may
just work.  Fact of the matter is, you are now arguing about what
"just works" means, and I would posit that my way is just as much
"just works", as your way.  The steps to accomplish the fact are
different it is true, but the end result is the same:  I too can
"click on a  video link in firefox, and see the video pop up and start
playing with working audio."  I swear I only use this awesome power
for nefarious purposes.

I do agree that the original poster is probably in the same situation
as you seemed to find yourself.  I am glad that you like Ubuntu.

I still maintain that in the terms of answering the posters original
post: implying that the best way to fix problems is to move to a
different distribution.  Seen from the eyes of a newcomer, I can't
help but wonder what it means, and the confusion you can cause by
advocating such a "killer" cure.

I still maintain that if the original author had googled, found the
link, then at least he would have fixed a problem instead of following
the Windows mentality:  if its broke, slow, or blue... reinstall!

If the author does not want to follow those instructions, he could
then write something like "Hey.  I just checked out Fedora, and hate
the amount of crap I have to work for to get it to play movie/mp3
files.  Can someone suggest a better alternate distribution."  Then
maybe it would all seem less silly to me.

Finally, I would think your experiences with Fedora, and with Ubuntu
would be valuable, but  I would suggest a different thread.  A subject
 like "Why I love Ubuntu, and  the problems I experienced  with
Fedora" may be suitable.

I am not trying to argue anything you claim below the second paragrah,
and one like to point out that this email is not meant to be an attack
on Ubuntu, but a defense of my thought process relating to the
questioning of what I had said in my first email, and your response to
it.