[Tfug] Linux doesn't like a quitter

Brian Masur bcmasur at hotmail.com
Sat Sep 23 06:28:25 MST 2006

Even though Linux has been a rewarding challenge for over 12 years for me, I
welcome its variabilities...

Out of all of my distro preferences, I'd still choose gentoo, debian, then
the others.  I'd be comfortable with Linux-From-Scratch.  I don't think
anything "just works".  You have to have at least some understanding of
where everything is coming and going.  LFS (NO DISTRIBUTION) proves you know
it all upside-down, gentoo takes a longer compile time but makes it faster
for your superior-than-586 hardware, and debian has a quick-and-easy install
that isn't optimized for your hardware unless you're using ancients.

I think it's crazy to blindly consider jumping from one distro to another.
Distros usually modify packages too far in the way they keep their
configuration in different paths or even formats.  Distros often have
version discrepencies for each package you need.  Some distros completely
lack package support and you have to download the source and compile/install
manually, which is good experience anyway.