[Tfug] Dell Laptop & Thermal Shutdowns

Bexley Hall bexley401 at yahoo.com
Wed Sep 20 22:20:40 MST 2006

--- "Bill M." <beelymagee at cox.net> wrote:

> Looks like I'll be doing a very,
> very careful dismantle of the laptop face/keyboard
> to check out the heatsink.

Do yourself a favor:  take lots of photos BEFORE
and DURING the disassembly process.  PRINT these
as soon as you take them (B&W is fine) -- enlarged
to fit the page!!

When you remove a screw, etc. *tape* it to the
photograph where you removed it.  Often, laptops
have many different size screws (thread pitch,
diameter, length, etc.) and keeping track of where
each one goes can be a real chore.

Also make note of any plastic "snaps" that hold
the case together.  You can save the photos
(digital versions) in case you ever have to open
it up again.

Remember, if you have to fight to get something apart,
your first thought should be:  "Is this REALLY the
way it should come apart?"

> I've really tried to baby this laptop--quite an
> expense but I've really
> enjoyed using it these past few years. Still feels
> very responsive to me
> and I hope to continue using it for a few more
> years.
> Again, thanks for the feedback and suggestions. I'll
> keep the list
> informed about my investigations and outcomes.
> One thing: thermal grease is "elephant c*m"? The
> imagery that accompanies that is, ummm,
disturbing...

<grin>  I have no idea where the name originated.
But, I;ve been calling it that for over 30 years.
Wait until you get it on your fingers and realize
how hard it is to get off (once you *do* get some
on your fingers, remove it immediately as it will
end up transfering to EVERYTHING you touch!)

And a little goes a LONG way!

--don