[Tfug] 5. Re: Growisofs vs CDrecord-ProDVD (Brian Masur)

Charles R. Kiss charles at kissbrothers.com
Wed Sep 20 21:04:27 MST 2006

  *I got some text, **I did a little snipping, **from the bottom of a
post from the link below:

http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/showthread.php?t=348492

Apparently, this is how to make an exact copy of a DVD5; a DVD9 can also
be made this way but you have to delete the menus and extras.  It hasn't
worked for me yet, though.  But I've been a little lazy with it.  You'll
need the libdvdcss, they say.

*
Originally posted by demerson3

Quote:
At some point I'd like to cut k3B out and do a 100% command-line
approach {snip}

What is your device?
Code:

mingdao at silas:~$ dmesg | grep -i atapi
hda: PIONEER DVD-RW DVR-109, ATAPI CD/DVD-ROM drive
hdc: TSSTcorpCD/DVDW TS-H552U, ATAPI CD/DVD-ROM drive
hda: ATAPI 40X DVD-ROM DVD-R CD-R/RW drive, 2000kB Cache, UDMA(66)
hdc: ATAPI 48X DVD-ROM DVD-R CD-R/RW drive, 2048kB Cache, UDMA(33)

Now use the power of "dd" to make that exact copy you want:
Code:

mingdao at silas:~$ dd if=/dev/hdc of=China.iso

And check it, too.
Code:

mingdao at silas:~$ diff /dev/hdc China.iso -r
mingdao at silas:~$

Now burn, baby, burn!
Code:

mingdao at silas:~$ /usr/bin/growisofs -dvd-compat -Z /dev/hdc=China.iso

And you've successfully made an exact copy faster than K3B
using the raw power of GNU/Linux, and any errors while you
burn will be right there in front of you.

NB: You can always look at the K3B log and see what commands it used.