[Tfug] tfug's traffic too much

George Cohn gwcohn at simplybits.net
Wed Sep 20 08:38:20 MST 2006

Brian Masur wrote:
> Any recommendations?  I can't keep up with the group.  I have dozens of
> unread tfug mail from over a week ago.

I'm always amused when I see someone complaining that an e-mail list is
too "chatty".

I've ran a list for folks who collect old Jaguar XK-E sports cars for
over ten years.  It's supposed to be just dry tech talk but I allow
folks to talk about most anything as long as it's somehow related to the
car.

We hear about trips, local club events and the occasional birth or
death.  It makes the list more *human* in that you get to know a little
about the person posting and they become a friend as well as a technical
resource.  Sometimes we get over 100 messages a day.

It's not always possible for folks to get together in person and mail
lists have been a great enabler in creating virtual clubs and
communities with no geographical boundaries.

I use Thunderbird and filter by who the mail comes from.  Makes it easy
to scan and delete what I'm not interested in and keep the "goodies" for
later.

George Cohn