[Tfug] why not cable?

RushD RushD at ironandwood.org
Wed Sep 13 09:58:07 MST 2006

"Claude Rubinson" wrote -

> I don't know anything about the satellite services but with cable
> there are no contracts, so you can simply call them up and add or drop
> packages/stations as frequently as you'd like. >

I have Hughes Satellite, which used to be DirecWay Satellite. It originally cost $99 /month for 15 months with $200 installation charge. It is now $59. I've had it for about 2 years now and it is ok. I have no copper POT connection so DSL or even cable are out of the question, I am out in 3 Points, pretty remote.

Lately I've experienced being FAPed by Hughes (Fair Access Policy). I've been upgrading some programs, downloading compressed files in the range of 350 MB. Hughes allowes only 150 MB down load within an hour, then they cut you to 14 or so kbps and build up the rate at 50 kbps till you get back up to the 'normal' rate. I am getting 1036 kbps down now (as measured by giganews speed tester) or if I go to DSLreports it tests at 736 kbps down.

I haven't had any real long outages, only minutes at a time and obviously when there are storms southeast of me.

My contract ran out after 15 months so I can quit anytime now with no penality, but where would I go? There is only Hughes or WildBlue....

Rush
Tucson AZ
www.ironandwood.org