[Tfug] Dakotacom T1 opinions?

bigj at flatwan.net bigj at flatwan.net
Mon Sep 11 20:07:44 MST 2006

I can speak a little from the technology side of it as I used to install
and support the DakotaCom T1 customers.

Simply put if you don't have a problem with the current DSL service then
you won't have an issue with the T1 service. This excludes any problems
you may experience with the local loop which will most likely be Qwest
since they own the copper around here. With the tariffs it's quite
possible to get it type 2 through Qwest and have another carrier be your
local loop.

Now if you're in a building that is "lit" with fiber through Qwest,
Xspedius/TWTC then you're local loop will more than likely be cheaper as
DakotaCom has fiber services through both of those carriers and can bring
up a T1 on any lit building for some ridiculously low price. Just hound
them to pass that savings along to you otherwise they pocket it.

As of a few months ago DakotaCom terminated their DSL and T1 customers in
to two seperate Cisco 7206VXR's with NPE300's. If go with Qwest as the
local loop they will bring your T1 in to the DSL router and terminate it
as a PVC. No big deal really. We did this a long time ago to leverage
cheaper service and use our DS3 more effiecently.

If you go with another carrier it will most likely be terminated in to the
other router.

You may also wish to seek out services directly through Qwest and
Xspedius/TWTC. They may be able to meet or beat that price. If money is an
issue then I would due my due diligence and price shop. Otherwise
DakotaCom I think is still a fine establishment.

HTH

--
Jon