[Tfug] Help, LILO hijacked my computer

Robert Hunter hunter at tfug.org
Thu Sep 7 10:28:55 MST 2006

My first guess would have been that removing the drive is what caused this problem, but you say that it rebooted with
any problems, so who knows?

In any case, you probably need to reinstall grub. Here is a link to the documentation online.

http://info2html.sourceforge.net/cgi-bin/info2html-demo/info2html?(grub.info.gz)Top

> Hi,
>
> I really had to use a lot of restraint to not put a taboo subject line
> like "EMERGENCY! PLEASE HELP ASAP".  But I really would like some help
> :)
>
> I rebooted by linux work computer today (after a couple weeks uptime),
> and it refuses to boot, printing "L 99 99 99 99....."
>
> I know this is a LILO error message, but I have grub installed (Ubuntu
> server install).  Where did LILO come from?
>
> I have RAID 1 on two sata drives (second and third channels).  The
> last thing I did was remove an extra sata drive (on first channel)
> that I was no longer using (an old OS).  However, when I did that I
> tweaked my fstab and everything rebooted fine then.
>
> I can boot an Ubuntu CD and get a shell with my boot partition
> (kernels and grub) mounted, but I don't know what to do now.  I'm
> guessing my MBR got screwed somehow, but I don't know how to fix it.
> Reinstall grub on the MBR?  How?
>
> I can provide any additional info that may help.
>
> I just noticed that all my paragraphs start with "I".  Very
> self-centered, aren't I?
>
> Thanks,
> Chad

Rob