[Tfug] Whats the biggest, most powerful/expensive system you have under your care?

tponsford tponsford at rnsmte.com
Sat Sep 2 16:11:17 MST 2006

Bowie J. Poag wrote:

>Whats the biggest, most powerful/expensive system you have under your care?
>
>Currently, the biggest monster we have in production is a database
>server.. for a very, very big database. You're probably in it.  :)
>
>It's part of 2-node HACMP cluster. Each node in the cluster is a 4-way
>SMP RS/6000 box (8-way logical w/ AIX 5.3, yaaay) w/ 12GB RAM, dual 2Gb
>FibreChannel HBAs connected up to not one but two Sharks (Big f'ing
>piles of massively redundant high-speed storage, about 10TB total)..
>Virtualized, multipathed, and fully redundant front to back, top to
>bottom. It's about a $1.1-1.3 million setup, not including support
>agreements and whatnot.
>
>..We feed it small children every morning. Keeps the gears lubricated. :)
>
>Cheers,
>Bowie

Well, for a while, not too long ago, I had root/administrator privileges
while our contracting company was installing some geo-spatial software
for a special DOD/Ministry of Homeland Security project here in SE
Arizona.

The system was a cluster of 6-8 Sunfire EK25K Servers maxed out to
approximately 570 total processors with about 6-8 TB of main memory
running Sol 10!.

I wasn't told how much storage was, but suffice to say it was 10's of
Terabytes (probably over 100)and was being upgraded to include more.
The tape backup library was the largest I've ever seen.

The system, I was told, was valued at around 45 million!!!!

These systems were killer! (literally! One fell of a loading dock in
Maryland and crushed some unlucky soul)

It not only had Bowie's info, but I made a point to flag it :-)

P.S> I was told there were even larger systems in the works in the area.

Be afraid, be really afraid!!!

Cheers

Tom P.