[Tfug] Language choices

Chris Niswander cn.tfug.account at bitboost.com
Sat Oct 28 16:27:08 MST 2006

At 10:48 AM 10/28/2006 -0700, you wrote:
[....]
>Yes.  The problem is figuring out each's *real*
>strengths and weaknesses (hence the reason to ask
>folks for their first-hand experience) since these
>sorts of things only manifest themselves after
>a fair bit of concientious use...

I've actually known some people who I thought were using
the following algorithm for recommending development tools...

<FLAME>

Well, after taking the trouble to learn SHITLANG,
I have to say that SHITLANG is definitely an excellent language.
Yes, in fact, considering that I want there to be lots of work
available developing in SHITLANG, I would have to say that SHITLANG
is the best language for <whatever project you are considering>.
Yes, SHITLANG is such a good language that you should definitely
use it, instead of some other language that I don't already know
and that's probably being recommended by other people for
no better reason than my reasons for recommending SHITLANG.
For that matter, because it takes me a *really really long time*
to learn any programming language, I am *even more emotionally invested*
in SHITLANG and I must insist that SHITLANG is
*really really really really really* superior, I mean like really, dude.
I even have a bunch of reasons from my SHITLANG Internet fan club.

In fact, using <some set of criteria that someone made up
and elaborately codified, although they never bothered to establish
that their criteria are really much good>, I can prove that SHITLANG's syntax
is the most *technically correct* syntax.  Sure, some other languages
might have syntax in which many people can develop and debug working software
faster; but their alleged higher productivity is a mere distraction from the
more important facts proving that SHITLANG is better.

But I can't tell you anything that would actually be helpful
about REXX or ML. :-)

</FLAME>

Satirically (what, really?),
Chris