[Tfug] OT: Structured media centers

Bexley Hall bexley401 at yahoo.com
Fri Oct 27 14:05:21 MST 2006

Hi, Harry,

--- Harry McGregor <micros at osef.org> wrote:

> Bexley Hall wrote:
> > How much space did the wiring closet require in
> > cases like this?
>
> We used a broom closet off the kitchen, and just put
> the ceiling at 10-12 foot instead of dropping it to
> 8ft.  We then put all of the wiring above the door
> hight (actually about 9-10 ft up)

(sigh)  I wish I had that much space to play with.
Imagine having a *furnace* in the middle of that
"broom closet" -- with the "floor" raised up
(for the input plenum -- what a dorky design!)
and ceiling *dropped* (for the output plenum).
And having to lose three walls (door, back of
furnace and combustion relief) at the same time!

I would think *above* the door would be a good
location -- out of sight and easily accessible
(assuming the free depth of the closet allows you
room to stand *in* there).  This is how I located
my PBX (above the doorway in the "store room").

> The bracket is a standard 19" wide rack, with 12"
> depth, and it's either 10 or 12U tall (About 15
> inches).
>
> The wiring came right out of the ceiling, and we had
> them put 3/4" plywood on the wall before the drywall
> so we could attach things to the wall anywhere.

Good call.  I mounted sheets of plywood exactly the
size of the boxes I was using to the wall using toggle
bolts.  They'll be there "forever" so no real issues
to face.  And, I ran the cables into the back sides
of the boxes (i.e. through the playwood) to keep
exposed wiring to a minimum (hub wiring is exposed
"by necessity" but those are just short patch cords).

> We also put in a door phone tied into the phone
> wiring,

Yup.  I ran phones to all three exterior doors
*plus* the outside of the garage door.  It seemed
easier to be consistent than to have to rationalize
NOT putting one in a particular location.  Even ran
quad up to the roof (so I can work on the cooler
without having to climb on/off the roof!)

> and had electrical outlets put in on the right hand
> side of the wall.

Yes, I put a pair of duplex outlets there, as well
(separate circuit from the dedicated furnace
circuit).  Though I don't think I will need the
second duplex (since my controller is so highly
"integrated")

> The wall was ~3foot wide, and the closet was about
> 2.5feet deep.

About the same footprint as my "furnace closet"  :<

> It was a major pain to terminate the RG6 QS that
> high up, but lucky for me Ken did most of that.
> Standing on a 5 gallon bucket, or a step ladder.

In my case, the coax comes in at the rear of the
closet on the side of the furnace.  So, you have to
reach down a "channel" about 8" wide to gain access
to them.  A real PITA to install and maintain.
But, thankfully, this is "set it and forget it"
stuff.

> I wish we grabbed photos of it before the house was
> sold, but oh well...

<shrug>  I have friends who pester me for before
and afters but I just don't see the point, I
guess.  *I* know what it looked like before so
what's the big deal?

> I will be doing another one in about 6-9 months.
> It's not very profitable, I tend to only do this
> for people that I work with on other
> projects as well.

Understood.  I never would have *paid* someone
to do this place as much of this is just not
worth it to me.  Rather, it's more of a "hobby".
Something to tinker with.  If the place ever is
sold, the new buyers would be blessed -- and
CURSED (blessed at all the capabilities, cursed
because none of it is COTS  :> )

Boys with their toys...

--don