[Tfug] OT: Structured media centers

Harry McGregor micros at osef.org
Fri Oct 27 11:31:58 MST 2006

Bexley Hall wrote:
> Hi, Harry,
>
> --- Harry McGregor <micros at osef.org> wrote:
>

>> Now, remember these houses are >3500sq ft
>>

> [snip]
>
> How much space did the wiring closet require in
> cases like this?

We used a broom closet off the kitchen, and just put the ceiling at
10-12 foot instead of dropping it to 8ft.  We then put all of the wiring
above the door hight (actually about 9-10 ft up)

The bracket is a standard 19" wide rack, with 12" depth, and it's either
10 or 12U tall (About 15 inches).

The wiring came right out of the ceiling, and we had them put 3/4"
plywood on the wall before the drywall so we could attach things to the
wall anywhere.  We also put in a door phone tied into the phone wiring,
and had electrical outlets put in on the right hand side of the wall.
The wall was ~3foot wide, and the closet was about 2.5feet deep.

It was a major pain to terminate the RG6 QS that high up, but lucky for
me Ken did most of that.  Standing on a 5 gallon bucket, or a step ladder.

I wish we grabbed photos of it before the house was sold, but oh
well...  I will be doing another one in about 6-9 months.  It's not very
profitable, I tend to only do this for people that I work with on other
projects as well.

                                  Harry