[Tfug] OT: Structured media centers

Harry McGregor micros at osef.org
Fri Oct 27 07:41:59 MST 2006

Hi Adrian & List

I have done a fair number of wiring jobs for >$1M houses in town.

Here is what we have done (I have spare parts too, if you want to call
me :) )

Now, remember these houses are >3500sq ft

12" 10U rack bracket from sandman.com
2U 32 port keystone patch panel.
    4 RG 6QS to the roof for SATV (grey)
    2 RG 6QS to the back of the house for Cable TV (black)
    26 RG 6 QS around the house (white)
2U 32 port 110/RJ45 patch panel
    Data ports in house (grey cat5E jacks)
    One in every spot with an RG6 QS, plus extras in the "office" and
living room area

300 pair 110 punch block
    Cat5E voice port to every spot with a data or RG6 QS (~28
locations), (white Cat5E jacks)
    4 Cat5E to back of house
    DSL filter imbeded in one block location (just in case)
    Jack in data closet is before DSL filter (ie non-cut punch from blue
pair, cat5-1 from outside, dsl jack in closet, and dsl filter input)
    All other jacks cross connected (non-cut punch) with the blue pair
for every location in house
    All other jacks cross connected (non-cut punch) with the orange pair
for every location in house

Alarm prewire with Cat5E - punched on a 100 pair 110 block and labeled
for alarm installer.

                                        Harry