[Tfug] LISP texts

Bexley Hall bexley401 at yahoo.com
Fri Oct 20 22:22:34 MST 2006

Hi, Robert,

--- Robert Hunter <hunter at tfug.org> wrote:

> > Are there any good, *introductory* LISP texts that
> > folks would recommend?
>
> SICP is an introductory programming text from MIT
> that uses Scheme,

Grrr... *Scheme*!  Why the hell did I write
*smalltalk*??  <:-(   (sigh)  It's been a long
day...

[SICP... hard for me not to think SIPB when
subvocalizing that!  :> ]

> a LISP derivative, and is freely available ( yay! )
> at:
>
> http://mitpress.mit.edu/sicp/
>
> I really enjoy Scheme and wish that I used it
> more...

Yes, as long as you don't mind balancing parens,
it can be *quite* fun!  Of course, when I start
thinking about all the machinations going on behind
the scenes and how *wasteful* of memory it is, I
tend to feel a little "guilty"  :-/  Though, with
a few GB of *physical* memory on a machine, I
doubt that's noticeable anymore  :>

Thanks for the pointer.  I will pass it on...

--don