[Tfug] webcam madness

John Gruenenfelder johng at as.arizona.edu
Fri Oct 20 16:14:43 MST 2006

On Fri, Oct 20, 2006 at 02:26:25PM -0700, George Cohn wrote:
>John Gruenenfelder wrote:
>> I'm looking for some suggestions on getting a webcam.  The intended use is as
>> a video phone with MythPhone (MythTV plugin).
>>
>The Logitech QuickCam Communicate STX works in Debian Sarge with a 2.6-8
>kernel if you use the SPCA5XX driver.  It's a $40 camera from Newegg.com
>
>This beast comes with a disk for windows.  I tried it on my XP machine
>first and McAfee warned me that the application was loading spy ware!
>
>I quickly dumped that installation and decided to try to make it work on
>the Debian box.  I looked at a couple of howtos and it only took about a
>half hour or so to get it working.
>
>Picture is pretty good if lit well but gets muddy quickly under low light.

Heh heh, this is a rather old message to reply to, no?  I wrote that back in
March.  You must have missed the most recent webcam thread on the TFUG list
from a week ago.

I've already got a QuickCam Communicate STX.  Bought it quite a while back.
In fact, in the most recent webcam thread I even gave advice to another list
reader about the same camera.

Still, thanks for taking the time.  And for not forgetting about old
questions.  :)

--
--John Gruenenfelder    Research Assistant, UMass Amherst student
                        Systems Manager, MKS Imaging Technology, LLC.