[Tfug] webcam madness

George Cohn gwcohn at simplybits.net
Fri Oct 20 14:26:25 MST 2006

John Gruenenfelder wrote:
> I'm looking for some suggestions on getting a webcam.  The intended use is as
> a video phone with MythPhone (MythTV plugin).

The Logitech QuickCam Communicate STX works in Debian Sarge with a 2.6-8
kernel if you use the SPCA5XX driver.  It's a $40 camera from Newegg.com

This beast comes with a disk for windows.  I tried it on my XP machine
first and McAfee warned me that the application was loading spy ware!

I quickly dumped that installation and decided to try to make it work on
the Debian box.  I looked at a couple of howtos and it only took about a
half hour or so to get it working.

Picture is pretty good if lit well but gets muddy quickly under low light.

George Cohn