[Tfug] vps/Fedora Core 4/Bind 9

Adrian choprboy at dakotacom.net
Sat Oct 7 13:37:07 MST 2006

On Friday 06 October 2006 22:20, keith smith wrote:
> I went to DNSSTUFF and could not find TravelingCheese.net which I registered
as name servers with the VPS IP and configure it also in Apache.

> I restarted the VPS and bind did not automatically start even though I find
it under /etc/init.d.  It is runlevel 3 and shows it in rc.3 with a sim link.

> So should named not automatically start?
>
> So I issue /etc/init.d/named start and it works now.

Well... it "should" have started automatically if the correct symlinks are
present in rc3.d/. Since you can start it manually and (I presume) is gives
back the correct responses when running... it doesn;t sound like a
configuration error in named, sounds like the init is just hosed.

First, check the "named" script in init.d/. It should have a comment line at
the top like:
# chkconfig: 2345 98 02

Note: This is the chkconfig configuration for init starting, the first number
are the runlevels that actions should occur, the second is the starting
preference (what order relative to other daemons), and the third is the
stopping preference. The above numbers are just an example, not neccessarily
what should be in you named. The runlevels might also be "-", which means
never run.... Your should probably be 345 or 2345, with an appropriate
start/stop (it is probably already there).

Once that line is saved... run a "chkconfig --del named" to delete any old
symlinks, and the run a "chkconfig --add named" to regenerate the symlinks
that should exist. named should now start automatically when you boot.

> I looked in /var/log and find no log for bind or named.  Should I be looking
elsewhere?  Its Fedora Core 4.

Hmmm.... I'm running FC3, but not a named server at the moment. Maybe someone
who is could chime in.

Adrian