[Tfug] tfug Digest, Vol 39, Issue 17

Bry Melvin brymelvin at melvinart.com
Sat Oct 7 12:44:44 MST 2006

Message: 3
Date: Fri, 6 Oct 2006 17:14:20 -0500
From: "Tim Ottinger"
Subject: [Tfug] Small Linux Distributions (was Re:  Religious crap)
To: "Tucson Free Unix Group"

I used puppy for a while, didn't have to install dos first.  Seemed great.
DSL is smaller, I understand.  I'm running Debian with XFCE4 on a 450MHz,
192MB machine just fine.

On 10/6/06, keith smith  wrote:

> I have 2 amd500 desktop/servers from 2000 that I had in a box for over 2
> years due to my move to phoenix.   One has 128MB RAM the other 256MB RAM.
>
> Just freed them.  Tried to install http://www.ubuntu.com/ on the 265MB one
> and it crashed.  Besides that it was real slow going.
>
> http://www.puppylinux.org/user/viewpage.php?page_id=1 - this one looks
> like one needs to install DOS first.  Don't want to do that.
>
> and
>
> http://www.damnsmalllinux.org/ - looks normal and based on debian which I
> like.
>
> Anyone have any experience with these or any recommendations for some not
> too time consuming install?

I recently had to pull a 166mHZ machine out of the storage shed to temporarily replace a broken one:

Ubuntu606 Installs fine However:

The live CD (PC) doesn't: It needs a minimum of 192mb ram AND an existing swap space to work. (On PPC it seems to need 256...not surprising so does the latest OSX)

The Alternative cd ( with installer...not live) and using Xubuntu (xfce) make this machine useable I think the alternative CD will work as low as 128MB ram. Not sure lowest I've tried was 192

FWIW anytime I use the live CD now for an install I terminate the install after partitioning and making a swap partition and reboot it. If you read the fine print the live CD will use an available swap if it exists. The install from live works much better that way.

Bryann