[Tfug] Mythtv

Christopher Robbins robbinsc at gmail.com
Fri Oct 6 12:17:24 MST 2006

Will -

IIRC, using a cable box requires that you hook up the cable box to your
MythTV PC via a serial cable.   When you change channels, the MythBox will
communicate with the cable box to change the channel.  I haven't used a
cable box with MythTV in a long time, but that's how I seem to remember it.

Supposedly, MythTV .2 is supposed to be a great release - I haven't had a
chance to upgrade.  I'll probably do it this weekend and document the whole
process.... (I seem to have neglected my website..:( )

-Chris

On 10/6/06, William Stott <wstott at ventanamed.com> wrote:

> Joshua (or anybody else) -
>
> Do you know if MythTV needs the cable box to relay the digital channels
> through or is there a way to set this up without? I lose quite a bit of
> channels from Cox Cable because I have not setup the cable boxes to decode
> the digital ones. (No, I have not looked very extensively at this yet as I
> currently have Win MCE and Myth setup concurently). I also have the 360,
> and
> it is a GREAT extension!
>
> Thanks,
>
> Will
>

> On 10/6/06 11:49 AM, "Joshua Bernstein" <bjosh at engr.arizona.edu> wrote:
>
> > I should stand up here,
> >
> >         I was quite involved with the MythTV project before I moved out
> to the
> > Bay Area. I was contributing quite a bit of code, and tried to help out
> > quite a bit on the mailing lists. It has come a long way from the .9 .10
> > days. I have it running on two machines a slick brushed AL case from
> > Lian-Li and I've been using my XBox as a frontend. Pretty slick!
> >
> > <cheapplug>If you are looking for a USB Remote check out the Streamzap
> > remote. Myself and another guy worked on the initial version of the
> > driver. Its currently available in the standard LIRC package these
> > days</cheapplug>
> >
> > If I can be of help, please let me know. I have looked at the code in
> > quite a few revisions, but of course I'll do what I can.
> >
> > If you are interested in pics of my system check out
> >
> > http://www.joshbernstein.info/gallery/mediaserver
> >
> > -Josh

Chris Robbins
Dept. of English Technical Support