[Tfug] What are the good DSL ISP options here in Tucson?

Steven Bowers steveb7 at bblabs.net
Wed Nov 1 20:00:58 MST 2006

t takahashi wrote:
> thanks, angus.
>
  > o what kind of modem rent/buy/good/bad should you get for it for
best results?
> o if you want wireless should you do that on your own or combine with modem?
> o what gotchas are there for such a setup?

As the tech support person for one of the ISPs here in town I can speak
to this item. If you go with the Actiontec GT701 - rent it, do not buy
it. They have a high return rate. Don't believe me? Call the Qwest DSL
support number. Last time I called "3" off the main menu was for RMA of
your Actiontec DSL router. It requires more reboots than it should; the
chip that controls traffic between the internal and external interfaces
periodically just stops working - solution is RMA. The internal
interface sometimes just stops working and the only fix is to hard code
the IP on your PC, log into the device, ran a "restore to factory
default" and hope that fixes it. Sometimes that does not work and the
solution is RMA.

If you can find one buy a Cisco 827 or 678 over any Actiontec. Your
sanity will appreciate you. The 827 runs full blown IOS and is harder to
configure, but they never have a problem. The 678 is easier to configure
and is almost as reliable.

My $0.02,
Steve