[Tfug] Filesystem/Distro suggestions?

Bry Melvin brymelvin at melvinart.com
Sat May 27 18:46:41 MST 2006

Message: 1
Date: Fri, 26 May 2006 13:32:12 -0700
From: "JD Rogers"
Subject: Re: [Tfug] Filesystem/Distro suggestions?
To: "Tucson Free Unix Group"

SNIP
Does *buntu have a nice packaged mplayer? Installing mplayer by hand
can be slightly harder, but its nice. I use xine and vlc for things. I
find that the successful playing of video in linux is much less
dependent on the choice of player and much more dependent on having
the proper libs and codecs installed. These are often shared, so after
I installed lots of codecs for mplayer, I found xine and vlc worked
much better too. (anyone who knows more specifics should chime in
here)

> Thanks,
> Chad

I tried several when setting up my ubuntu machine. Although no expert: This is my experience.
I ended up dumping totem-gstreamer (default) as useless and installed totem-xine

It now works quite well. I play commercial DVDs with it faultlessly,
I use Amarok for audio. Neither IN KDE I use the gnome desktop. KDE seems to be a resource hog and causes a roughness in the video. It's an old machine Dell P3.

Interesting Power DVD no longer works right at all when booting from the win32 partition. Ubuntu must initialize the Creative Sound blaster differently. Sound is now out of sync on windows.  No real loss I only use that now with Corel Suite as I can't get my Aiptek hyperpen tablet working right in Linux...won't compile: code is apparently for an older Glade, although ubuntu has the kernel module in it I can't change the tablet settings. (tablet works somewhat but no absolute, just relative.

Ubuntu5.10 with KDE added + restricted formats +Nero-linux and lame.
Lame and Nero-Linux were not part of Ubuntu but added by me from .deb's

Bryann