[Tfug] Filesystem/Distro suggestions?

JD Rogers jdrogers at email.arizona.edu
Fri May 26 13:32:12 MST 2006

On 5/26/06, Chad Woolley <thewoolleyman at gmail.com> wrote:
> OK, I set ubuntu on XFS running on software Raid1 (non raid boot
> partition, and some extra LVM partitions for Xen).
>
> XFS on RAID 1 seems a bit slow, when doing a mass data copy from my
> old drive, my system performance ground to a halt.  During normal
> usage, it's fine though.  If it stays uncorrupted I'll be happy...

I was out of town, so this is late, but my anecdotal experience is
that ext3 has the most stable and integrated tools for recovery. The
other FS's may be more inherently stable or have better performance,
but don't necessarily handle recovery on reboot as automagically as
ext3. On a desktop, probably not a problem, but its been a pain on my
keyboardless mythbox that won't mount the media partition after a
power outage.

> Installed XUbuntu to get xfce window manager, that worked great.
>
> However, I just tried to play an MP4 video, and I got good old Totem
> Player, which refused to play it, just like every other video I have
> ever tried it with.
>
> Does anyone know of a free X-based video player that is easy to set up
> and will just play MPEG with no hassle?

Does *buntu have a nice packaged mplayer? Installing mplayer by hand
can be slightly harder, but its nice. I use xine and vlc for things. I
find that the successful playing of video in linux is much less
dependent on the choice of player and much more dependent on having
the proper libs and codecs installed. These are often shared, so after
I installed lots of codecs for mplayer, I found xine and vlc worked
much better too. (anyone who knows more specifics should chime in
here)