[Tfug] Opening up HTTP Server behind OBSD firewall

Shaun Dixon dahtcom at gmail.com
Fri May 26 09:03:47 MST 2006

I currently have a Web Server running on my network that I can browse to
internally without a problem by going directly to its IP or Host Name (e.g.
http://10.0.0.2). I have added a rule in my /etc/pf.conf file that looks
like this

rdr on $ext_if proto tcp from any to any port 12345 -> 10.0.0.2 port 80

Yet, when I test by browsing to the routers external address (
http://x.x.x.x:12345) I just get a "page cannot be displayed" error in MSIE
and "Firefox can't establish a connection to the server at x.x.x.x:12345" in
Firefox

rdr on $int_if proto tcp from any to any port 80 -> 10.0.0.2

Browsing to http://10.0.0.1 (internal router address) I get "page cannot be
displayed" in MSIE and "The server at 10.0.0.1 is taking too long to
respond" in Firefox

Suggestions on how to get my internal web server accessable outside of the
network?

- Shaun

[extra info if needed]
Router: OpenBSD 3.9 using PF
WWW Server: Windows 2000 Advanced Server using IIS