[Tfug] ip_tables kernel code no longer possible to build into the kernel?

t takahashi gambarimasu at gmail.com
Wed May 24 11:48:11 MST 2006

On 5/24/06, Paul Scott <waterhorse at ultrasw.com> wrote:
> Try the reference I gave you.  This is where it all comes from.  It's
> still iptables and netfilter.org is where it comes from.  There are

i did try that reference, paul.  twice.  thanks for the links.

can you point out the place where it directly explains the kernel
config defaulting problem?

remember that john said it went from iptables to netfilter.  i had to
assume that was correct.

so if john is right then it seemed a reasonable hypothesis that that
switch was why kernel config didn't default properly.  paul and
robert, are you both saying that that hypothesis is wrong?

because if it is wrong, then i would still like to know why my
iptables settings were not defaulted from my previous config where
they worked.

if the kernel config can randomly change settings like that, then it's
a crap shoot every time you recompile and you might as well forget
about using your old .config to set the defaults because it will be
ignored half the time.

see the problem?

if this is getting tedious for you, it's ok to give up.  it's kind of
like we're speaking different languages.

> HOWTO's and much more.

thanks, again i appreciate the link, but i already know how to use
iptables.  i have used it for years successfully through several
kernel upgrades.  it works.

the problem is with kernel config not defaulting to my previous kernel
config settings.

does that make more sense?  or do you still think an iptables howto
will help with this?
if so, can you recommend which howto explains it?

> http://www.netfilter.org/projects/iptables/index.html

i looked at the sites you provided when you provided them, and again just now.

there is nothing there that seems relevant to this problem of bad
defaulting.  are you saying that it explains the defaulting problem?
if so, can you recommend the howto that directly explains it?

i think i'd better end this thread.  it's just confusing everybody,
and i don't want to piss off a bunch of nice people who are only
trying to help by telling them "no, i'm not talking about iptables(8),
nor am i talking about ipchains, nor am i talking about how iptables
works ...".  i will take full responsibility for the miscommunication.
  :-)

--
Webmaster: do you believe that people will (a) switch browsers to view
your "best viewed with" page or (b) go to your competitor?