[Tfug] ip_tables kernel code no longer possible to build into the kernel?

Robert Hunter hunter at tfug.org
Wed May 24 09:13:11 MST 2006

> so the reason the defaults were no is that my old .config was
> referring to iptables, not netfilter?  and therefore did not get
> inherited?

ipchains was the name in 2.2, so it is unlikely that is the source of your
distress.

> i'll keep that in mind.  i assumed they would make an effort for a
> typical desktop.

The kernel developers are targeting a large variety of applications.  One
of the reasons linux distributions ( i.e. Redhat, Debian, etc. ) exist is
to distribute preconfigured software for "typical" applications.

> so where is the debian .config found?

/boot/config-*

> stock debian kernels do not work for me.

I am curious why you believe this.  If you could use a stock kernel, that
would spare you distress of configuring your own.  ;-)

--
Rob