[Tfug] Getting wlan0 to let go?

Bowie J. Poag bpoag at comcast.net
Wed May 17 07:55:52 MST 2006

Hmm.

Sometimes, all it takes a soothing, comforting voice of a good friend to
get wlan0 to recognize that it's over, and that it's time to move on.
And yeah, maybe wlan0 might feel better knowing there will be a little
part of that access point's heart always set aside for him....they'll
always have .memories of their connection, all the time they spent
together, all the things they talked about....but it's equally important
to tell wlan0 that this part of her heart is /too small now/ -- and that
he, as a network device, really deserves something more from life. Sure,
that piece of her heart may always be there, but it will forever shrink
with time, never to be rekindled.

Call it nature, or God's plan, but there really is someone out there for
everyone. Tell wlan0 that someday he's going to find an even better
access point to associate with, and similarly, his ex-access point will
eventually find what she needs....

It may also be helpful to get wlan0 angry, and make a clean break. Tell
wlan0 that his oh-so-beloved access point is really nothing more than a
honeypot, a dirty, dirty whore of an access point that associates with
as many clients as she can handle. Who knows what kind of viruses she's
transmitting...! She could be giving out her address to anybody who asks!

Theres also something to be said for just getting wlan0 drunk as a skunk
and letting him sob it out. Just a night out with the guys, maybe a trip
to a strip club, you know..Pour some beer on him, reboot him, get him a
lapdance, flash new firmware...Something to just chalk it all up, and
celebrate the fact that he's now free to associate with as many ad-hocs
and access points he wants, and as /often /as he wants. Most people wont
come right out and tell you, but theres a certain part of youth, really,
usually during college, where you hop from access point to access point,
hooking up only briefly.. Its only when you've had enough of that, that
a device settles down with a persistant connection.

Just tell wlan0 that time heals all wounds.....And his DHCP lease would
have just expired anyway.

Cheers,
Bowie J. Poag