[Tfug] Debian partition Question

Robert Hunter hunter at tfug.org
Mon May 15 10:17:24 MST 2006

> I'd think you would be more likely to run into issues with having
> insufficient space in one of your partitions than you would with your
> drive filling up.

In addition to preventing your disk from being overrun, separate
partitions also isolate file system errors.  But as you say, the problem
with static partition sizes is that you can't always predict the space
requirements of a file system.  That is one reason why LVM looks
interesting.

Now say you have underestimated the size of a particular file system,
such as /var ( i.e. which might happen when you do a dist-upgrade ).  A
quick fix is to copy a portion of the file system to another location, and
then create a symbolic link to it.  For example:

find /var/cache/apt | cpio -pmd /home

# if successful ( double-check! ) then remove /var/cache/apt

ln -s /home/apt /var/cache/apt

--
Rob