[Tfug] RMS protest - last week's news

Shawn Nock nock at email.arizona.edu
Wed May 10 10:36:06 MST 2006

Cris Robbins said:
<snip>

> What do most TFUGers think about binary drivers?
I think that they are unfortunate and unnecessary step-children of
patent lawsuit paranoia. If the driver code was released and nVidia was
revealed to have been doing 'super-mega pixel shading technique X' and
ATI patented 'a method of super-mega pixel processing' there could be
corporate drama... That being said bullocks to the lot of them... I run
the 'nv' (FOSS) driver in X.org (6.9 gave the nv driver xv acceleration;
works great!, and gets better all the time).
> I know ATI drivers in
> Linux are routinely a pain in the ass (granted, it's been awhile since I've
> had to deal with them)
Linux users need a pain the in the ass every now and again to reconnect
to using a *unix* derivative, as opposed to a package manager :) [Broad
generalization, but to the good 'linuxers' (you know who you are) I
exclude you from the above].
> and nvidia's driver is easy to install, but what do
> people think about using them?  Is it okay to allow closed-source drivers in
> open source software?
Big chunk of binary code, running in kernel space... It can do anything
it wants, you don't get to know what that might be. Sounds like a sh*t
deal to me. If one simply must play video games, by all means install
the BLOB driver... but don't start bragging about FOSS or open source to
all your windows friends (another linuxer trait; previous disclaimer
applies). You (hypothetically), like the windows users, will have
decided that flash and pretty are more important than stable and free...
In the end it is what you (the user/sysadmin) are comfortable / happy
with.  If you 'need' OpenGL/transparency to use you computer install the
BLOB, if it can be avoided at all you should. Maybe you could firewall
the hell out of a windows machine on the network and play games on a
dedicated toy?
> This tends to bring the flames, but here's my stance
> - it's highly unlikely they'd release open spec drivers (patent issues, et
> al) and I'd like to use the hardware I purchased...I don't mind much.

It's highly unlikely that they would release open spec drivers because
(*suprise*) they don't care about you, your goals, or your opinion. Yes,
patent law is destroying a lot of industries; don't reward companies
that screw you (the user) as an alternative to fixing the problem. If
you'd like to use 'the hardware you bought' I'd suggest that in the
future you buy hardware that does not require subscription to the
attitudes that are antithetical to the goals of the OS you have chosen
to run or run the FOSS drivers that already exist.

0.02USD

Shawn

--
Shawn Nock (OpenPGP: 0xEF9B08E7)
Broadcast Engineer; KUAT Communications Group

"Despair leads to boredom, electronic games, computer hacking, poetry,
and other bad habits."  -Edward Abbey