[Tfug] RMS protest - last week's news

Christopher Robbins robbinsc at gmail.com
Wed May 10 09:28:49 MST 2006

Interesting...Ever since the debacle I encountered with an ATI card and
Linux, I use nvidia unless its forced upon me.

I noticed that TFA states -

"It's important that we don't allow ATI and NVidious to feel comfortable
about the way they mistreat our community."

What do most TFUGers think about binary drivers?  I know ATI drivers in
Linux are routinely a pain in the ass (granted, it's been awhile since I've
had to deal with them) and nvidia's driver is easy to install, but what do
people think about using them?  Is it okay to allow closed-source drivers in
open source software?  This tends to bring the flames, but here's my stance
- it's highly unlikely they'd release open spec drivers (patent issues, et
al) and I'd like to use the hardware I purchased...I don't mind much.

-Chris

On 5/10/06, Neil Short <neshort at yahoo.com> wrote:

> http://www.fsf.org/blogs/community/rms-ati-protest.html
>
> I have personal pain resulting from this ATI closed
> API business as I can barely use my own ATI video
> device on a free OS.
>
> ======
> Now I, Nebuchadnezzar, praise and extol and honor the King of heaven, for
> all his works are truth, and his ways are justice; and he is able to bring
> low those who walk in pride.
> Daniel 4:37

Chris Robbins
Dept. of English Technical Support