[Tfug] compiling vim with the :perldo option

amperry at provide.net amperry at provide.net
Tue May 9 17:46:30 MST 2006

Folks,

Since vim 7.0 just came out, I thought I'd download and
compile it and give it a test run. An earlier version
(5.something) from an old Red Hat distro had the :perldo
option compiled in, which (among other things) allowed me
to use Perl's syntax for regex substitutions instead of the
vim's backslash-heavy way.

But, Makefile neophyte that I am, I can't figure out how to
get the darn thing to compile in. I figured that, by
uncommenting the line:

CONF_OPT_PERL = --enable-perlinterp

--I could get what I was looking for. (I also uncommented
the "--with-features=normal" line.)

But that doesn't seem to do what I want it to.

The :help facility provided this utterly uninformative
message: "To compile Vim with Perl interface, you need Perl
5.004 (or later)." But it doesn't say *how* to compile it.

Anyone have any experience with this?