[Tfug] MS Word scripters?

Claude Rubinson rubinson at u.arizona.edu
Mon May 8 19:53:32 MST 2006

I'm wondering if there are any MS Word wizards/scripters on the list
or if anybody knows of one.

I'm going from LaTeX -> HTML -> Word.  To move from LaTeX -> HTML, I'm
using tex4ht which produces very clean (and attractive) HTML/CSS that
Word really likes.  So the HTML -> Word transition is pretty
straightforward.

The one hitch that I've run into is that, by default, tex4ht wants to
generate footnotes as separate HTML files.  So, if the original file
is named "foo.tex" and has two footnotes, tex4ht generates "foo.html"
(which has all of the main text), "foo2.html" (footnote 1), and
"foo3.html" (footnote2).  In the html document, tex4ht renders the
footnote as a standard hyperlink and Word maintains that reference on
import.

What I need to do is bring those external pages into the Word document
as footnotes (or endnotes).  Doing it by hand is (naturally) a pain
and a Google search didn't turn up anything of use.  (Which,
admittedly, seems odd.)  (There's a TeX2Word proprietary package that
I hear is decent but it's Windows-only.  And there's a script included
with tex4ht to generate OpenDocument format but the resulting
conversion to MS Word via OO2 was disastrous.)

It seems to me that it should be possible to write a script (perhaps a
Word macro, perhaps something else) that would convert these
hyperlinks/html documents into footnotes or endnotes.  But doing so is
beyond my current capabilities.  Anybody know anyone who could pull it
off?

I'm pretty much convinced that this approach is the path of least
resistance but if anyone thinks differently, I'm happy to hear your
suggestions.  And if the Word script turns out to be non-trivial, I'm
willing to pay.

Claude